As the school year comes to an end, seasoned teachers know that the chaos is just getting started. From continually engaging students who have checked out, to resetting your classroom for the next year, check out these handy tips for getting ready for summer break!
- If you want your room to be set up the same the following year, take polaroids of it (for example, your electronic hook-ups) and post the pictures next to them. This way, the cleaners know what to leave and where/how to put items back.
- Each week, or perhaps even after teacher in-school days, organize a small section of your classroom and purge what you don’t need. Bring home any items that cannot be stored. Do everything a section at a time, across a longer period of time. Don’t leave it all for the last minute!
- Prepare for the first week of school BEFORE you leave! Make all of your copies (or even turn the copies into PDF format by scanning them) and set up/decorate before you leave for the summer. You’ll walk into a fresh and already finished classroom at the beginning of the year!
- Before your students go home for the summer, create a survey for them that goes over lessons of the year. Find out what they liked and didn’t like, so you can improve for the next school year!
- Keep YOURSELF engaged for the end of the year! If you lose focus/engagement, so will your students, and that can make the end of the year seem even longer. Also, check out these tips for keeping students engaged at the end of the year!
- Get your students excited about the summer break! Many of these students look forward to being in school. Those with harder home lives may not want to go home, help them plan fun activities they can do at home with their siblings!
- Take 5-minute meditation breaks, even with your students, during each class period to keep your mind fresh and your body relaxed! Remember to breath, it’s almost summer break!
- Plan your downtime over the summer, as you’re planning your professional development. It’s important to have fun and relax to be ready for the next school year! (Handy tip -- you can have downtime AND professional development at ISTE! Plus, you can come visit GoGuardian and go to a fun 80’s party with the Spazmatics!)
- Check out MVP Club, and earn yourself some much deserved swag, and even gift cards toward some new books to read on the beach!
What are some tips/tricks that YOU use to prep for the summer? Share with us in the comments below.
Special thanks given to the following Teachers for offering their advice, tips and tricks: Bessa Wahba, Jerry Scoppa, Elizabeth Munoz, Jessie McKinley, Kelsey Hickey, Christian Murray, Sarah Klingbile, Kevin Daniels, Jessica Borman, & Ashley Tripp.