At GoGuardian, we’re incredibly dedicated to protecting student privacy online—that’s why we’re very proud to announce we were awarded iKeepSafe’s independent privacy certification after an extensive review of our products, policies, and program. iKeepSafe is the recognized leader in youth internet safety, independently evaluating education technology providers to see if they have met best practice data privacy and safety standards.
In honor of Data Privacy Day, we at GoGuardian want to affirm our commitment to student privacy and safety. We recognize the importance of working with experts and organizations that are leaders in protecting privacy. Not only do we learn from these entities about industry leading practices, we also share in their commitment to student privacy.
Privacy & Education Policy Organizations that GoGuardian Works With
- iKeepSafe - iKeepSafe is an independent, non-profit organization that issues certification badges to companies that have met data privacy and safety standards. As we stated above, GoGuardian is proud to announce that iKeepSafe certified us with the FERPA and California compliance badges.
Here’s what the iKeepSafe badges mean for GoGuardian:
- iKeepSafe has certified GoGuardian's compliance with FERPA.
- iKeepSafe has certified GoGuardian’s compliance with California laws (such as SOPIPA, California Education Code section 49073.1, etc.)
- Future of Privacy Forum (FPF) - GoGuardian is a member of the Future of Privacy Forum, which is a non-profit group dedicated to discussing important topics surrounding data privacy. FPF has a committee specialized in student privacy and policy with participants from schools, policymakers, and educational technology providers.
Here’s what the Future of Privacy forum membership means for GoGuardian:
- We regularly participate in discussions about student data with privacy experts and leaders from other companies in the education technology space; and
- We learn about schools’ perspectives on matters concerning student privacy, equity, and policy from school district representatives through FPF.
- Educational Technology Industry Network of the Software Information & Industry Association (ETIN of SIIA) - The SIIA is a nationally-recognized association for technology companies. GoGuardian joined SIIA’s ETIN group, a group devoted to educational policy, including student privacy.
Here’s what the ETIN group means for GoGuardian:
- We are quickly made aware of new student privacy laws and other laws that could impact schools; and
- We can engage with experts about how best to meet any new student privacy laws and school policies.
GoGuardian’s Privacy Practices
We also wanted to share with you some our commitments to protect student data. Here are some of the ways that we help protect student data:
- Student Privacy Pledge - GoGuardian is also a proud signatory of the Student Privacy Pledge, which is a pledge that is endorsed by National Parent Teacher Association (PTA), the National School Boards Association (NSBA), the Consortium for School Networking (CoSN), and others The Chief Executive Officer of CoSN wrote about the Student Privacy Pledge, “Transparency leads to trust.” From a parent’s perspective about the Student Privacy Pledge, this parent “appreciate[s] a document stating a uniform commitment being issued by vendors in their role as stewards of student data.”
Here’s what the Student Privacy Pledge means for GoGuardian:
- We will not sell student personal information;
- We will not use or disclose student information collected through an educational/school service (whether personal information or otherwise) for behavioral targeting of advertisements to students; and
- We will not build a personal profile of a student other than for supporting authorized educational/school purposes or as authorized by the parent/student.
Here are some of the steps that we have taken to protect the privacy of students’ information:
- We give schools ownership and control over their school’s Personal Student Information, including the right to request deletion of Personal Student Information at any time;
- We have implemented various administrative, technical, and physical safeguards such as https across our products and specific training for our employees about how to handle student data.
- We do not sell Personal Student Information; and
- We do not use Personal Student Information for targeted advertisements or marketing.
In honor of National Data Privacy Day, we wanted you to know about our commitment to student privacy and safety. We have been and will remain committed to privacy and will continue to include privacy as an integral part of our holistic approach to safeguarding students as they grow and learn in the digital age.